Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Project Indiana

I have been trying my hands on Project Indiana for a few days now, but I have not been able to post anything since the University folks have blocked the blogger toolbar which lets you upload pictures and I did not want my post to go without any screenshots. But I feel I must mention a few things right now, maybe I'll post the screenshots later.

Project Indiana is an effort to simplify everything about OpenSolaris. They have turned it tu much like Ubuntu. The OS now fits in a single CD (instead of 6), and the installation is much simpler. The CD contains both live version as well as an installer (once you boot using the live CD). The developer preview is out and is downloadable from here. I have tried to get it working on VMware Fusion (I dont have much of a choice  to run it natively since I am using a Macbook Pro). Everything was an instant success but with few glitches (Which I am yet to figure out). The first problem is that it would simply refuse to let me sign into the root account. Secondly, once I am completely booted and signed in, it wont let me Shut Down the computer.... saying that I need Priviledges or something. Thirdly, the network b/w the VM and my Mac didnot work seamlessly right out after install as it usually works with the other operating systems. Maybe this will solve after I go through the workaround given here.Well I really dont think these are bugs, maybe I'll be able to work out these problems.

Anyways, apart from those small glitches everything was really smooth, right from the bootup till the installation. I have removed the VM temporarily, cause I will switch to a 64-bit VM (earlier I was using 32-bit) and also due to some space constraints. But, I'll soon get back to it and post the screenshots as well.

No comments:

 
Page Views: